Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rambling

Blogger vs. WordPress

Back in March, I attended a workshop on blogging. I had heard about this and of course had come across them while surfing the net. I went to the workshop because I like to learn new things, you could say I am a learn-a-holic (new word created? Perhaps, I will have to check with my mentor). Anyway as I was saying, I went to learn but wasn’t sure if this is what I would get into.

The presenter was very informative. Her explanations of how things work were easy to follow. We were shown how the presenter’s blog (using WordPress) looked and also shown other alternative sites that one can use to create a blog. One of these was Blogger.com by the end of the night, I was all set to go home and start blogging - that’s the way I get when I really enjoy a presentation, I just can’t wait to start.

And of course I created a blog using WordPress - there is only one post there so I am not going to give the address. I investigated every inch of that site, tried a few things and lost interest.

A few days later I decided to try Blogger. I found that there was more to offer here. At the start I had only posted a few comments and as I became more involved in RSS feeds, joined Web 2.0, I found that other people have been able to add different elements to their blogs and this became a challenge for me.Widgets (third party item that can be embedded in a web page), using HTML/Java scripts, game widgets, clouds widgets, interactive widgets - I love these things - as you can see by this blog I became very enthused by widgets.

I went back to WordPress to see if widgets could be entered on my blog but they are very restrictive in their page elements. I did manage to get a map of Australia added to my blog, whereas at Blogger.com you can add as many HTML/Java scripts types of page elements as you like and they have more interesting options in their other page elements.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. If you want fun stuff use Blogger.com, if you are into just a simple blog for writing posts, adding links to other sites etc, WordPress might be for you. I’m no expert, just a simple blogger or maybe WordPress is just too high tech for me.

No comments: