Friday, April 6, 2007

BIG CLEAN UP

It’s been a few days, no new toys today.

Today was supposed to be a day of rest being that its Good Friday, sleeping in, not doing much all day but I wasn’t so lucky, today was the day my daughter decided it was time to clean out the kitchen cupboards. There was a purpose behind her decision, she will be moving out in a month and is looking for things she could take rather than have to buy.

The amount of stuff one collects and forgets about over the years is amazing, I’m the type of person who uses the same thing over and over again not bothering with anything new which I might have been given or bought because I thought it was nice.

She (my daughter) kept saying ‘mum why you don’t throw out these old things and start using the new stuff’ my reply was ‘why’.

I have a brown dinner set (she absolutely hates it) which was a wedding present (32 years ago) it’s the first one I started using (I had received two sets as presents) and as far as I’m concerned there is nothing wrong with it. In the old days when dinner parties were happening I bought the other set out only because it catered for more people.

Did anyone ever keep the vegemite glass/jars, you know when you finished the vegemite you cleaned it out and used it as a glass, they don’t make them like that nowadays. To get back to my point I seemed to have accumulated a lot of these, stupid me suggested perhaps she would like to use them, well, the look was enough and they were thrown out.

She especially liked my baking wares most of that went into her box of goodies, that’s good because she can now bake for me.

I will have to say she ended up with quite a few things, saucepans, glasses (not vegemite ones) mugs and a couple of fancy serving plates, but wouldn’t take the three tiered one though, I guess I will have to find another home for that.

I have a box of cutlery again only used for dinner parties, I wonder how long before that gets raided?

I may not have had my day of rest but my cupboards now look tidy. Maybe I can find new stuff to fill them, perhaps not.

No comments: